- A pic can only make the Popular Page within the first hour after it has been posted. It's based on a "secret" algorithm around the number of Likes and/or Comments your pic gets within that first hour. I have never seen an old pic make the Popular Page. This algorithm seems to change depending on the number of Followers you have. For me (with around 3200 Followers currently) it takes around 100 Likes in that first hour to make it. If you are averaging more than 1 like per minute in the first 20 to 30 minutes you may even hit the Pop Page early. If anyone has a better explanation of the algorithm please add your comments below. (Tip: If you have a great pic, wait to post it at a time when most of your Followers are likely to be online, so you can get those Likes within that first hour.)
- Pics on the Popular Page rotate, so you may likely have to refresh the page numerous times in order to se your pic there. Instagram will alert you of your pic making the Poplar Page (via a Pop Up alert if you have it configured for that, or via your News Feed.) If you miss the alert, you can also see a yellow star on your pic on the Statigr.am website or on the Populagram website. Also, I've noticed that @Webstagram will Like the pic if it makes the Popular Page.
- You can only have one pic on the Popular Page at a time. If you have several great shots, don't post the all at once. Space them out, so they each have an opportunity to make it.
- Using Hashtags and Entering Challenges and Forums (such as those sponsored by @joshjohnson, that emphasize the 123 Rule) are a great way to get Likes from people who do not already follow you. It's also a great way to find new folks to follow and to pick up new Followers yourself.
- There are some folks who hold "Get Popular" events in which they schedule a time to all Like one another's pics within a scheduled time period. I personally think that is a bit of a cheat, but since it doesn't hurt anyone else I suppose it's a valid way to boost your Follower growth. Similarly, there are "Flash Mob" style take-overs of the Popular Page to promote specific themes or agendas. I've participated in these (like the "Orton Offensive", filter oriented take over), but as the political season ramps up, I worry that non-photograph agendas may become an issue.
- Finally, it is considered bad manners to InstaSpam people by begging for follows. "Follow me, I'll Follow Back" and similar comments frequently appear on pics that make the Popular Page. Some IGers Block people for posting those kinds of comments. I occasionally try to educate them on how it's bad manners. If you want to get followed, first, post good pics. then sincerely follow other people and Like and Comment in their pics. Eventually, some of them will follow you back. Caution, don't OVERFOLLOW so many people that you can't actually keep up with their feeds. I personally unfollow anyone who is following thousands of people and never Liking or Commenting on my pics, because the relationship is one-sided and may not be worth my effort.
Thursday, October 20, 2011
How do you get on the Popular Page?
First of all, the Popular Page is NOT a validation of anyone's talent. if you doubt that, just go look at it. Nevertheless, it is a great way to get some exposure for your work and attract new followers. If you're wonder what it takes to get on the Popular Page, here's a few things I've figured out.